To deposit a check, you don’t have to go to the Wells Fargo branch or ATM anymore. You can simply do it on your smartphone via the Wells Fargo app. Here’s how.
How To Deposit Checks On Wells Fargo App
Here are the exact steps you need to do in order to cash checks on the Wells Fargo app:
- Open the Wells Fargo app
- Select “Deposit”
- Choose the account
- Enter the check amount
- Sign the back of your check
- Write “For Mobile Deposit at Wells Fargo Only” below your signature
- Take a photo of the front and back side of the check
- Select “Deposit”
- Write “mobile deposit” and the date on the front of the check
As you can see, the whole process is very straightforward and convenient and you can do it from the comfort of your own home.
What to do After Submitting a Check?
As always, I recommend that you ensure your contact information is up to date before depositing a check so that the bank can contact you if needed.
Wells Fargo usually contacts its customers by email, text, or a letter to your primary address. However, be wary of any links inside these messages as there are scammers trying to impersonate Wells Fargo customer support.
After you submit a check with the Wells Fargo app, wait for assurance that the check submission was successful. After that, the app will prompt you to write “mobile deposit” and the date across the front of the check and take a photo that you’ll need to upload as well.
It’s also recommended to keep the original paper check somewhere safe for at least five days before destroying it.
When is The Money Available After You Cash a Check With Wells Fargo App?
In most cases, the funds that you deposited via the Wells Fargo Mobile Deposit service are available the next day after your deposit if you made a deposit before 9 pm Pacific Time on a business day.
If you deposit a check on a non-business day or after the 9 pm cutoff time, the funds will be available the day after the deposit credit date which is shown on the confirmation screen or in the confirmation email.
Sometimes, checks take a bit longer to process and the bank will hold the deposits until everything is clear. If that’s the case, they will let you know and supply an expected time for the arrival of your funds.
Wells Fargo Check Deposit Limits and Fees
There are no Wells Fargo fees for mobile check deposits. The only charge you may or may not pay is the carrier fee for data or messages.
As for the mobile check deposit limits, you can see them on the Enter Amount screen while depositing checks. In general, Wells Fargo allows clients to mobile deposit up to $2,500 per day and $5,000 over a 30-day period.
Who Can Deposit Checks on The Wells Fargo App
The Wells Fargo mobile check deposit feature is only available to Wells Fargo Online and Business Online clients that maintain a checking or savings account and are allowed to use the feature.
Additionally, only government, personal, and business checks can be used. The service is only available in the Wells Fargo mobile banking app and not via a mobile browser.
Troubleshooting Wells Fargo Mobile Check Deposits
Wells Fargo will approve most mobile check deposits. Nevertheless, in some cases, their hands will be tied, and your check won’t be approved.
So, why does this happen? Here are some of the reasons:
- You didn’t sign/endorse the check properly
- It was over the daily or monthly limit
- The name on the check doesn’t match your account name
- The check photos are murky or don’t pass authenticity screening
- Adequate information could not be verified on the check writer’s account
Some or all of your deposited funds could also be put on hold, and you won’t be able to use them. The underlying reasons for that are:
- The deposit amount was large
- The check returned unpaid
- You had frequent overdrafts
- There are indications that the check may not be paid
Other Wells Fargo Check Conditions
Although uploading a check is incredibly easy and convenient, there may be some additional requirements, like the following:
- The check is payable in United States dollars
- You have the check in your possession and control
- The check is written to you or jointly to another person
- It hasn’t been altered in any way (except for endorsement)
- That it’s drawn on or payable by a bank, credit union, or other US depository institutions
- The check has been properly signed by the check writer
- The check has a date written on it
- The date of the check is in the past 90 days
- It wasn’t previously cashed or deposited, or previously dishonored
Depositing a check on the Wells Fargo app is really easy and requires you to merely open the app, go to the “Deposit” tab, choose the account and enter the amount, and take a photo of both sides of the check.
Once it’s approved, write “mobile deposit” and the date all over the front side of the check and take another photo of it.