What started as an easy and safe way to send money to your friends has turned into a reliable way to make purchases at your favorite super stores. Venmo users wonder if they can use their favorite fintech company at Walmart, and the answer is yes!
You can use Venmo at Walmart easily, all you have to do is use your Venmo debit or credit card like any of your other physical cards. If you don’t have a card connected to Venmo, you can scan a QR code at checkout or use Venmo while checking out online.
While some businesses may be able to scan your unique Venmo barcode, it doesn’t look like Walmart is quite there yet. No worries though, as on the same screen as your barcode is an option to scan Walmart’s QR code — an easy way to make your purchase while using the Venmo app.
So, to show you how paying with Venmo works, I went to Walmart.
How to Use the Venmo App at Walmart With the Venmo Debit Card
Venmo can issue you a free debit card to make purchasing even easier. The debit card is free to apply for and is directly linked to your Venmo balance.
You can use the Venmo debit card the same way you’d use any other debit card — by swiping it at checkout. If you’re at self checkout or making your purchases with a cashier, you can swipe or tap your debit card on the terminal to complete your transactions.
There’s no fee to use the Venmo debit card either. It’s directly linked to your Venmo balance, so you should see your transaction pop up on the app immediately.
The Venmo debit card is great for anyone looking to get more use out of Venmo. Like I said, there isn’t a fee to apply nor is there a monthly fee to have it. Venmo won’t check your credit either, since it’s just a debit card.
Venmo also offers their card users monthly bonuses at some of their favorite stores, offering cash back incentives that come right back to your Venmo account.
How to Use Venmo at Walmart with the Venmo Credit Card
Debit isn’t the only way you can use Venmo. With the Venmo credit card, the popular fintech company is finally branching out into the world of lending.
The Venmo credit card can be used at Walmart the exact same way as the Venmo debit card — at checkout, right as you’re making your purchases.
Even though it’s coming from a fintech company and not your traditional bank, you can use the Venmo credit card like any other credit card. The purchases you make at Walmart are instant, and will appear in your transaction history before you leave the building.
The Venmo credit card comes with a bevy of perks too, like being able to send your friends money instantaneously without the normal 3% fee Venmo charges.
How to Use the Venmo App at Walmart by Using the QR Code Scanner
If you don’t have either the Venmo credit card or the Venmo debit card, you can still use the app to buy your favorite things at Walmart.
During checkout, if you’re completing your transaction with a cashier, let them know you’ll be using the Venmo app to make your purchase.
They should then bring up a QR code you can scan on the POS (point-of-sale) terminal, if it isn’t there already.
The Venmo app will then give you a pop-up confirming you’d like to make a purchase. Click yes to complete your transaction at Walmart by paying with the Venmo app.
If you don’t see “scan to pay” in your Venmo app before making a purchase, make sure you have the latest version of the app downloaded on your phone.
If you’re looking for the “scan to pay” feature in Venmo, let me break it down in a few easy to follow steps:
- Open the Venmo App: Simple as can be, for step one simply open up your Venmo App to use it to make your purchases in Walmart.
- Click “Pay/Request”: In the middle of your Venmo App, towards the bottom of the screen, is a button with a giant V titled “Pay/Request”. Click that to move forward.
- Click “Scan or Show QR Code”: At the top of the payment screen is another screen asking how you’d like to go about your pay or request through Venmo. You can pay a friend by looking up their username, or if you’re at Walmart, you can pull up the QR scanner to make your purchases.
- Click “Scan Code”: If it doesn’t pull up automatically, click “scan code”. That will bring up your phone’s camera so you can scan Walmart’s code and make your purchase. If you’ve never used this feature before, Venmo will ask you for permission to use your device’s camera to make your purchase. Click yes to enable the permission, if not you won’t be able to make purchases using Venmo at Walmart without a physical card.
Once you’ve scanned the code you should be able to complete your purchase at Walmart, all while using the Venmo app and never even pulling out a physical card.
Does Walmart Accept Venmo QR Codes or Venmo Barcodes?
Unfortunately no. At the time of writing, Walmart does not accept either Venmo QR codes or Venmo barcodes, meaning the only way to pay at Walmart using Venmo is by scanning their QR codes.
Can I Use Venmo to Pay on Walmart.com?
If you’re doing your shopping online from the comfort of your own couch, you can also use Venmo to complete your transactions.
When you’re shopping on Walmart.com, during checkout, you’ll have a couple of options to make your purchase.
The common ones are upfront, like giving Walmart a debit or credit card they can charge, but you’ll also see a couple of other options.
These new, mobile-minded options include popular payment platforms Paypal and Venmo!
If you want to use Venmo to make your purchases, make sure you have enough in your Venmo account to cover your transactions, or make sure your account is linked to an applicable bank account.
If you have the funds, click on Venmo when you’re checking out, and Walmart and Venmo will connect and do the rest.
What Stores Accept Venmo?
Venmo is expanding their partner base to give their customers more access than ever. You used to only be able to send your friends some money on the transfer app, now you can use Venmo all across America.
Some popular stores that accept Venmo as a form of payment include:
- Abercrombie & Fitch
- Forever 21
- Foot Locker
- J. Crew
- Uber Eats
- Urban Outfitter
More Useful Articles About Banking with Venmo
- 8 Simple Steps to Send Money From Cash App to Venmo
- 11 Simple Steps to Mobile Deposit a Check on Venmo in 2023
- Return Money or Cancel Payment on Venmo (Is It Possible?)
- Venmo Doesn’t Work Internationally (Alternatives)
- How To Block Someone On Venmo (All You Need To Know)
- How to Get Money From Venmo Without Bank Account (Guide)