In this article, we’re explaining how to transfer money to your Chime account and card. Here’s a short version:
It’s easy to load your Chime account and card whether you have cash or want to transfer money from another account. Here are the ways to do it:
- Direct Deposit
- Cash Deposit
- Bank Transfer Initiated Through The Chime Mobile App Or Website
- Bank Transfer From An External Account
- Debit Card
- Mobile Check Deposit
1. Direct Deposit
Direct deposit is the preferred way of adding money to Chime. By setting up a qualifying direct deposit, you can unlock some extra Chime features. For that, you need to receive at least one qualifying direct deposit of $200 or more every 34 days.
Because this is the best way to gain popular Chime features, here’s how to do it via the Chime mobile app or website.
Using the Chime mobile app, set up the direct by:
- Opening the app and tapping on “Move Money”
- Tapping on “Move your direct deposit”
- Tapping on “Find employer” (beneath “Have Chime do it for you”)
- Entering the name of employer or payroll provider, government benefits provider, or gig payer
- Signing in and tapping “Continue” to set up the direct deposit
If you can’t find your employer or you want to email or hand-deliver the completed form:
- Tap on “Move Money”
- Tap on “Move your direct deposit”
- Choose “Get completed form” in order to get an email copy of your Chime account number, routing number, and a voided check.
You can utilize this document to set up a direct deposit by your employer, payer, or benefits provider.
Using the Chime website, set up the direct by doing the following:
- Click on “Move Money” to view the Chime routing number and account number (to provide to your payroll or benefits contributor)
- Or, click “Print” or “Download” to obtain a finalized direct deposit form
As for the printed form, you can deliver it to your provider or attach it to an email.
If your payroll or benefits provider demands you to provide the address of the bank, you can simply deliver them the name and address of the Chime partner bank that keeps your deposits.
To find out which bank is yours, go to Settings > Account Policies & Terms. You’ll see one of the two Chime partner banks:
- Stride Bank N.A., 324 W Broadway Ave, Enid, OK 73701
- The Bancorp Bank, 6100 S Old Village Pl, Sioux Falls, SD 57108
With Chime’s early direct deposit, the money will be in your Chime account as soon as they receive it from your employer or payer. There are no unnecessary reviews and hold-backs.
2. Cash Deposit
Despite all the digital banks and financial apps cropping up, cash is still a vital part of our lives. At least for some people.
For that reason, you can easily deposit cash to Chime at 90,000+ retail locations, nationwide.
Simply ask the sales assistant or cashier to make a deposit to your Chime account. Using this method, you can make up to three deposits in a day and up to $1,000 in 24 hours until you reach a maximum of $10,000.
- Family Dollar
- Dollar General
- Rite Aid
- Pilot Travel Centers (Pilot Flying J)
- TA Operating LLC (Travel Centers of America)
- Royal Farms
- Circle K Stores
- GPM Investments
- Sheetz Incorp
- Cumberland Farms Corp
- Kwik Trip Inc
- Krause Gentle (Kum & Go)
- Holiday Station Stores
Cash deposits are available within two hours of deposits. It’s worth noting that Walgreens locations (including Duane Reade), will do this for free, without fees.
Other stores and locations may have their own limits as well as fees per transaction. Buyer beware.
3. Bank Transfer Initiated Through The Chime Mobile App Or Website
You can initiate a bank transfer by linking your external bank account to your Chime account by using the Chime app and the “Move Money” feature, or by signing into your account on the Chime website.
From the Chime app:
- Tap on “Move Money”
- Select “Transfers”
- Enter your bank account login details
Once you link your accounts, you can perform unlimited transfers from the external account to Chime. The link will be instant.
Chime supports many banks, including:
- Bank of America
- Capital One
- Regions Bank
- TD Bank
- U.S. Bank
- Wells Fargo
- many others
You can search for your bank if it isn’t on the list to see if it’s even supported.
These bank deposits can take up to 5 business days from the date of the transfer.
ACH Transfers to Chime that are prompted with the Chime app or website have a limit of:
- $10,000 per day
- $25,000 per month
Sometimes, you might see an error message when using Chime app to send funds from a linked external account into Chime.
In that case, you can log into the external account and transmit the funds from there.
4. Bank Transfer From An External Account
You can also make transfers to Chime from your other bank’s website.
If your bank offers this service, make the transfer by doing the following:
- Sign in to your bank’s website
- Add your Chime account information using the exact same routing and account numbers that you’d use for direct deposit (Click on “Move Money” to find the Chime routing and account number)
There are no limits on ACH transfers that you initiate from an external account in terms of the number of times per day or a maximum dollar limit. However, your bank may set its own fees and limits.
You will generally receive these deposits within 3 business days from the time the transfer was initiated by the bank.
5. Debit Card
You can transfer money to your Chime account and card almost instantly by linking an external bank account and adding your debit card number.
6. Mobile Check Deposit
You can have Chime’s mobile check deposits enabled only at the discretionary decision by the company. They base the decision on:
- The history of any Chime accounts
- Direct deposit history
- Direct deposit amounts
- Other risk-based factors
If you have received a direct deposit (see point 1) your mobile check deposits will be turned on in one day after receiving a qualifying deposit.
It’s good to know that tax refunds don’t count as qualifying direct deposits.
Mobile check deposits aren’t available for:
- Savings bonds
- Starter checks or counter checks
- Money orders
- Traveler’s cheques
- Non-negotiable instruments
However, you can deposit checks that:
- Haven’t been yet deposited at a different institution
- Are payable only to you in US dollars
- Aren’t a digital copy
- Are from a financial institution located in the United States
- Are dated within the last 6 months
- Are free of alterations, signs of fraud, or illegible items
- Weren’t created remotely
How to Deposit a Check?
You can deposit your check utilizing Chime’s mobile app by doing the following:
- Tap “Move Money” (on the home screen )
- Tap “Mobile Check Deposit”
- Select the type of check you want to deposit
- Follow the steps
Can You Make Wire Transfers to Your Chime Account?
At this time, Chime doesn’t allow wire transfers. However, they may add this feature in the future. For now, at least, you’ll have to use one of the methods described above.
We showed you various ways of depositing money to your Chime card and checking account. Which one you choose is up to you. Of course, you can use more than one method, depending on your situation.
If you have cash at hand that you want to deposit, go to Walgreens for free deposits. If you want to get your paychecks into Chime, set up the direct deposit for added Chime features.
Alternatively, if you’re still getting paper checks, see if you’re eligible for Chime’s mobile check deposits as it’s a handy way of depositing them without leaving the sofa and by only using your smartphone.