We’ve all been in this situation before. We rush to get out of the doors and forget something. This time it’s our Chime card. Unfortunately, there isn’t a ‘silver bullet’ solution for this, but we do have some workarounds for you that might help you in this case. Let’s see what they are.
Let’s get right to the point. You can’t withdraw money from your Chime account without your card. Although there are some cardless ATMs around the country, they’re far and between, and Chime isn’t supported for now.
Fortunately, all is not lost. We found a few ways to help you ‘hack’ the system to get money out of your Chime account even if you forgot or lost your Chime card. You can:
- Send money to your friend’s account and ask them to withdraw the money
- Transfer funds to another bank account
- See the card details in the Chime app
- Use the Chime card through Apple Pay
1. Send money to your friend’s account
Hopefully, if you don’t have your Chime card with you, at least you have a friend by your side who has a Chime account, or Venmo, Zelle, Cash App, or anything else with instant transfers. They could always lend you the money as well, but if it’s a more significant sum that you need, that might not be handy.
There are no fees for transferring money between Chime accounts, but there is a $2.50 fee for withdrawing cash from the ATM or over the counter.
2. Transfer funds to another bank account
To transfer money to another account using Pay Friends:
- Log in to your Chime app
- Select ‘Pay Friends’
- Find your friend on Chime, or enter the email/phone number of someone who isn’t on Chime
- Enter the amount to send to the recipient and the reason that you’re sending the money.
- Confirm the amount and the recipient
- Choose ‘Pay now’ to send the money
You can send up to $2,000 in a calendar month. If you transfer money to someone who is a Chime member, the money transfers are processed immediately.
3. See the card details in the Chime app
Even though you don’t have your Chime card with you, it doesn’t mean that you can’t at least pay for stuff. You can always see your virtual Chime card details in your app (card number, expiration date, and CVV).
You can use those details to pay for things online or even in person at restaurants, cafes, or shops, for example. To see your card details, open your Chime app and select the setting button in the top left. Now, scroll down and select ‘View my Card.’ And that’s it. You’re presented with all the card details you need.
4. Use the Chime card through Apple Pay
I’m using Apple Pay as an example, but it could be any digital wallet, for that matter. You can easily set this up even without your card if you use the step mentioned above to get your card details.
To manually add a card to Apple Wallet:
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone and tap the ‘add button’ (+)
- Tap ‘Continue’, then tap ‘Enter Card Details Manually’
- Enter your card information and tap ‘Next’
- Enter the requested information
If you don’t see the add button when you open the Wallet app, your device might be set to the wrong region.
It’s always easier to add your card to a wallet if you have the physical card present as you just take a photo of it, and you’re basically done. You don’t have to add all those numbers manually.
The bottom line
So these are your options for withdrawing money from your Chime account if you don’t have your Chime card with you. We hope we made your life a bit easier even though these aren’t the perfect solutions.
It’s always better to connect your Chime card to a service such as Apple Wallet ahead of time so that you can at least pay for things when you don’t have your physical card present.